Saturday, November 12, 2011

Punch Needle Embroidery

After finishing the little bag that I showed you earlier this week, I remembered these little bags that I made a couple of years ago. 
I call these "cruise bags" because they are perfect for a cruise, just large enough to hold your cruise card, lipstick, etc.  I've made a lot of these like the green one pictured below, and sold a number of them, but these are the only ones I've made with a punch needle decoration.
The bags range in size from 5" by 5" to 6" by 6".  I make the straps long enough to wear across the body.  It is basically a rectangle of quilted fabric folded in thirds.  In the green example, I bound the edges after sewing up the sides.  In the other two, I just sewed up the sides using a jeans needle. 

I decided to make another one with a jelly fish.  There is a tutorial for punch needle embroidery on this site
http://www.amherst-antiques-folkart.com/PunchNeedle_Howto.htm.  I'm sure there are others, but this one has the basics.  They recommend a Russian punch needle, and so do I.  Pictured below are my punch needles, a Russian one and one from Clover.

The one in the case is the Russian one and the green one is by Clover.  I just prefer the Russian one, its sharper, easier to hold and use.  It also costs a lot more.  The hoop is necessary to hold your fabric and needs to be one that really grips the fabric because you put a bit of pressure as you embroider.  The fabric should be a loose weave cotton or linen. 
Here is my hooped jelly fish.  I drew it on with a blue marker.  This doesn't have to be the kind that washes out, because its on the back of the fabric.  This is the trick with punch needle that I didn't get at first:  you work from the back and your actual embroidery is on the reverse side. 

I  keep you updated on my progress on this little embroidery.  I plan on starting it tonight.
Have a great weekend.





No comments:

Post a Comment