Thursday, November 10, 2011

Art Quilts

Today I was looking for some inspiration and started reviewing photos of some of the quilts I have made.  I decided I would post some of the pictures here.  I no longer own most of these quilts, I have sold them or given them away.  It occurred to me as I was looking at them, that I don't spend a lot of time making art quilts.  What I do is make a lot of "crafty" things, clothing, etc. and while I am doing that, I think about making art quilts.  Maybe that's the way its supposed to be.  I did a drawing today for a new quilt, but I won't be able to start it until after Thanksgiving or maybe even after Christmas.  In the meantime, I'm busy doing the "crafty" stuff for the Artisan's Guild Thanksgiving Weekend Tour. 

Dan is critical of my use of the word "craft".  I know the difference between art and craft.  I also know that 95% of what I do is craft. 
This is painted with textile ink.  I began by "drawing" the poppies with my sewing machine, then painting them with the ink.  The centers are beaded.  Its about 25 by 30 inches.   The border was an Alexander Henry fabic.

This is currently hanging in my living room.  The background is pieced and the blue mason jars are appliqued on and then painted with textile inks and stitched.  The vines were made with clothesline and the leaves are individually stitched.  This was in the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Show in 2009.

Finally, this quilt was sold about 6 years ago.  It is all applique, no painting.  The woman who bought it had it framed in a heavy white shadow box frame.  It's quite large, but I can't remember the exact measurements.

I hope these are inspiration for your creations.  Have a wonderful evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment