Monday, November 7, 2011

Charity Quilts

One of the reasons I started this blog was to document and share the charity quilts that I make.  I try to spend at least 20 hours per month on charity sewing projects and belonging the ASG gives me a boost on this by giving me a date (i.e. monthly meeting) to have things completed.  Below are the three quilts that I will be donating for the month of November with comments on the construction.

This is approximately 40 by 40 inches.  The middle is made of 5 inch charm squares and along side are 2.5 inch strips, all left over from other projects.  I added the rainbow inter-border to tie it all together.
Another kids quilt.  Both of these will go the Coalition Against Domestic Violence.  This one was suppose to be a base for a sample for my pattern "Down by the Sea".  I can't remember now why I didn't finish it, but I found the center part in a box, so decided to add a few fish appliques and a border and make a charity quilt.
I made this one out of "layer cake" pack and a "jelly roll" pack from Connecting Threads.  I cut the 10 inch squares down to 8 inches.  The quilt is 42 by 55 inches and it will go the the local nursing home.

Now for a preview of tomorrow's blog.  I meant to finish it for today, but still have some hand work to do, so hopefully I'll get that done tonight.  Someone brought this fabric to one of our sewing groups.  They are fabric samples, each about 10 by 15 inches.  The "wrong" side was more attractive to me than the "right" side.  There are 5 of these pieces, but each is different.  I've had them for 2 or 3 years, not knowing how to use them, but knowing something would come along, and something did.  You'll see what I did tomorrow.
Forgive my photography, the "right" side is blurred, but I'd already cut it before I realized this.


          This is supposed to be the right side.                            



This is the other side.  Don't you like this better?













2 comments:

  1. Kitty, I like the wrong side better. By the way, LOVE the new picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good picture Kitty. See you soon. Sue

    ReplyDelete