Wednesday, January 11, 2012

VIntage Quilt Project Update

I started sewing these vintage blocks together by hand, and quickly tired of it.  ( See my original post here).  Today I finished machine piecing them.  There are 101 triangular sections, with a few left-over pieces of fabric.  The woman (I'm assuming it was a woman because there were probably not a lot of men quilters in the 1930's) outlined each of the separate parts with a pencil before cutting them out.  She also was perfectly on grain with every piece.  The photo below is how I think she meant for the blocks to be put together.
If I do it like this, it will be quite small, with only about 12 blocks total and then I'd have to "fill in" with another fabric.  So I'm thinking of using another fabric and do it like this.
I could also lay it out like this,
or use a plain fabric in between each pieced block.  I need to think about it for awhile. 

Working on this project led me to look into my box of blocks.  This is a large box where I have stored all of the left overs from my other quilts for a few years.  There is a lot.  So I have decided to list them on Ebay and see if someone else is interested in them.  Go here to see my listing, if you are interested.  I'm also going to list some of my quilt books tonight.

I'll keep you posted on my progress with the quilt!!

No comments:

Post a Comment