Saturday, January 14, 2012

My Designer Copy

Last fall, I saw this ad in a fashion magazine and cut it out.  Every now and then, I see an outfit or item that appeals to me and this one just looked comfortable, as well as fashionable.

The outfit is made from a knit fabric.  My copy is not a knit, but a "designer" fabric that I bought on my last trip to Philadelphia.  I've mentioned Jomar's before in my blog.  They have a table of fabric which come from clothing manufacturers.  You never know what you'll find there and have to go in with an open mind.  Anyway, I bought 3 yards of this black and white tweed.  I ended up with 4 yards, because as I was leaving the store, the lady from the fabric department came up to me and handed me a bundled remnant of the fabric.  She said "You might want this, too."  It said 1/2 yard for $1.00.  So I bought it and when I got it home and unbundled it, I discovered it was slightly over one yard.  That was plenty to make the skirt since its 60" wide.
I had not intended to make this outfit with that fabric.  My idea was to make a long jacket.  But here was the fabric and I decided to go ahead.  I even bought a pair of black suede boots to complete the look.  
I actually made this between Thanksgiving and Christmas and have been waiting to blog about it until I had a picture of me wearing it.  I've worn it once and worn the skirt several times with a black sweater.  But since I still don't have a picture I decided to put it on my old dress form and take the picture.  The dress form is not my size.  Its an antique store form that I inherited when I bought my store.  It's probably a size 4 and I'm a 14.  So the skirt is being held up by a clothespin in back.  The top looks a little large on the form, but it looks fine on me.  Also, I wore it with a black turtleneck, not white.
The skirt is a pattern that I drafted years ago and just change the length from time to time.  The poncho was easy, except for the cowl neckline.  I did it twice with muslin until I got it right.  I lined the skirt, but the top is unlined.

I don't make many clothes for myself any more.  The main reason I don't is because I don't have many opportunities to dress up very much.  Most of the time I wear jeans, so this was kind of fun, and the fabric is suitable for most of the year.  I think its a rayon/polyester blend.  That's one of the problems with buying a Jomar's, no labels.  I'm pleased with the results and have enough fabric left over to make a vest.

We're off to the "big city" (Virginia Beach) for the day to have lunch with some friends and do a little shopping.  Hope you have a good weekend.

2 comments:

  1. This is very nice. I like the fabric you used for it. I bet it is as comfortable as it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your version - very stylish and wearable...

    ReplyDelete