Monday, January 30, 2012

Mug Rugs and Taxes

Sometimes I just need something mindless to do.  Today was one of those days, because I just spent the last day and a half organizing tax stuff.  Not just mine, understand, but my aunt's plus a small family business  It made me feel quite good to get it all done before the end of January.

So I needed a small project that I didn't have to think about.  And that's why I make mug rugs.  I also make them because they always sell at craft shows.  I don't actually have a plan to do a craft show any time soon, but when I do, I want to have lots of mug rugs.


I had already done the prep work and my scraps are all organized by color, so all I had to do was start sewing.  I do these by a "stitch and flip" method, building around the center motif.   I cut the back and batting in a 7 inch square and then cut it down to 6 1/2 inches after all the fabric is added.  Then I bind.

I find they sell better if there is a picture in the center.  People love the shell, crab, fish themes here, but cats are also really popular.  I sell these for $5.00 and for those of you who sew, this may not seem like enough, but they really don't cost me anything but my labor.  I use mostly scraps and left over batting.  I only sell them at craft shows.  The shop that sells my work on consignment takes a percentage, so it would make the price higher.  And in today's economy, you have to have a 5.00 item at a craft show, just in case nothing else sells.


Well, now that the taxes are done, I'm off tomorrow for my next least favorite thing....I have a dental appointment.


1 comment:

  1. I like to make mug rugs, too, and find they sell very well at craft sales. I make mine 6 1/2 by 10 so there is room for a cookie or muffin. And I sell them for $3.50. Obviously, too cheap. I'll raise my price maybe.

    ReplyDelete