Thursday, October 27, 2011

An Easy Gift

I found a tutorial for a little zippered case on Sweet Verbena.  After making one, I modified the pattern just a little and made the two shown below to use for giving money gifts to some of my children or grandchildren (don't get excited, kids, it won't be much this year). 
I cut my fabric 4.5" by 9.5" instead of the 3.5" by 9.5" that is shown in the tutorial. Click HERE for the tutorial.  I also used ribbon instead of the charm.

After making these, I decided that I would make a smaller one to fit a gift card, since I am more likely to give these to my adult children.  I used exactly the same technique, but I cut the fabric and felt 4.5" by 4.5" and used a 7 inch zipper.  The finished product is shown below.  It would also make a nice little change purse or case for business cards.

I'm headed to Philadelphia for the weekend to visit my daughter and attend and help with my granddaughter's Halloween party on Sunday.  On my way home I'll stop at Jomar's.  If you are ever in Philadelphia, you have to go to Jomar's.  They have a fabric department with lots and lots of unusual and cheap fabric.  They get stuff that you don't see at the regular fabric stores.  I've gotten fabric left over from Anne Klein fashions and they sell Waverly decorator fabric for 4.99 a yard. Unfortunately, their quilt fabrics are just not the good quality that you find in quilt shops and they don't have much selection.  But for fashion and decor, I love it.  You have to go with an open mind and just hope for a real find.    I'll post what I find on Tuesday after I get back. 

1 comment:

  1. This is great! I love the festive fabric you used and the ribbon. What a great idea to convert to a gift card case! Thanks so much for sharing this with me (:

    ReplyDelete