Friday, October 7, 2011

Upcycle, Turnips and Baking

I like the word "upcycle".  It's just recycling, but upscale recycling.  For some time I have been looking at this old skirt of mine and wondering what to do with it.  The elastic was shot and although I wore the skirt for years, and the matching shirt is long gone, I just liked the color.  So I found a piece of corduroy (they call it corduroy, but its really more of a cord) at Joanne's with the same colors of green.  They only had a yard and a half on the bolt, but I knew I could make a jumper for my granddaughter out of that much.


I used an old pattern for an a-line dress to draft a pattern for a yoke and added a placket on the back for buttons (that I haven't found yet).  I had just enough fabric for the yoke, skirt, and outside of the pockets.  The skirt has 4 tiers.  I cut it 1 inch above the second tier from the bottom.   Would you believe it, that was the exact width of the  top of the corduroy skirt.  I then cut apart the other 2 tiers and cut them in half.  By sewing them together, very creatively, I had enough fabric to face and line the yoke of the jumper and pockets.  Here's a picture of the front of the jumper and the inside of the jumper.  I'm not showing the back because I still have to get buttons for it.  Living an hour from a fabric store is definitely a disadvantage.  I have maybe 2,000 buttons, but no large green ones that I envision for this jumper.  My granddaughter is 6, small for her age and I think this will probably be about mid-calf on her.  She only wears dresses, hates slacks and shorts.


,
















Turnips:  This morning my friend Brandi called me and asked if I wanted some eggs and turnips.  I said yes and she came by with a dozen eggs (she has chickens) and a bag of turnip PLANTS.  She had thinned her garden.  Yesterday I planted lettuce, Swiss chard, and pansies.  So I just went back out and stuck those turnips in the ground in between the pansies, the mums and the rest.

Baking:  Tonight my daughter, Cailin, her husband, son, and in-laws are coming from North Carolina.  Also Dan's daughter, Diana, is coming home from college.  So I baked an apple cake I've been wanting to try from Southern Living magazine and a batch of brownies.  Here's a picture of the cake.  I left out the pecans because my grandson has a nut allergy.
Busy weekend ahead.  Enjoy yours.  Thanks for visiting.

1 comment:

  1. How very clever of you to 'recycle' the skirt into such a pretty dress.

    Hugs
    Naomi

    ReplyDelete