Thursday, October 20, 2011

Fabric Flowers

The t-shirt pictured is the result of two sale shirts that I bought at the end of the summer.  I'd been looking for a shirt to wear with the skirt shown in the background.  The skirt came from a shop in St. Thomas that I visit each time I go on a cruise to that island.  I always find something there that I like.  This skirt cost about $10.00 and is long, made of rayon patches.
When I saw this shirt, I knew the color was right, but I wanted something a little less generic.  The shirt was $5.00, so I bought 2, one in my size and one size small.  I cut strips from the small shirt, as shown below.
I then stitched these flowers from the strips.  The tutorial shown here is from a blog called "Cherry Street Cottage".  She has lots of other great ideas.
The only difference between what you see on that blog and the way I stitched these flowers is this:  once I made the center of the flower, I began stitching it directly onto the shirt.  Also, I left the "tail" of the end of the fabric hanging down.  Since its a knit plus on the bias, there is no way that it will fray.  Here is a closeup of the flowers, color is a little off, but it gives you the idea.
The rest of the shirt that I cut up is in my "rag bag", but I may be able to get a few more flowers out of it, or get some other idea.  I actually haven't worn this shirt yet, I made it a little late in the season, but will enjoy it next year.
Hope that this gives you some inspiration.  Have a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment