Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Eyeglass Case Pattern, Part Two

Here is a picture of the finished eyeglass case.  There are two mistakes in the instructions I gave you in Part One.  The measurements should be 7", 7.5" and 2.5".  I left out the 1/2 inch on the middle.  Also I said "craft weight interfacing", I should have said "craft weight FUSIBLE interfacing".  It makes a difference.
Before I begin the steps in making this, I want to show you how I save my fabric scraps or small pieces.  I have a number of little baskets from the dollar store that I use to sort by color groups.  That way, when I start a project like this one, I have a place to go and find something quickly instead of pulling through multiple boxes of large pieces of fabric.

Step 1.  Lay your piece of batting on top of the muslin.  Using the "Flip and Sew" method, add strips of fabric.  I usually start in the middle and work toward both ends.  If you don't know how to flip and sew, here are 2 pictures that should give you an idea of how its done.

Step 2.  Press the fusible interfacing onto the wrong side of the lining fabric.  Pin pattern onto this lining piece and cut out.


Step 3.  Layer the wrong side (interfacing side) of the lining onto the wrong side (muslin side) of your quilted piece.  Be sure that you have the part you want for the flap in the correct position.










Pin in place.  Using a basting stitch, machine stitch as close to the edge a possible.  The trim off the excess quilted fabric.


Fold your case on the fold lines.  
Now make your bias binding.  Find a tuitorial for making bias binding here http://quilting.about.com/od/bindingaquilt/ss/binding_strips_5.htm
Bind the long edge of the top.  You need to do this at this point, before you sew up the sides.  You also need to sew your velcro in place now.

I find that its easier to sew on velcro with a zigzag stitch.
Once that is done, sew up your sides and then add binding all the way from bottom edge to bottom edge.

I sew this on he back, but it can be done from the front.  Then you will need to hand sew the binding into place.  
On this example I have used beads instead of a button to hide the stitching from the velcro.
I hope you make one of these and enjoy it.  Here is a picture of the back and the front.


1 comment:

  1. Love your eye glass case. I'm going to make up a few as gifts.

    ReplyDelete