Thursday, October 18, 2012





Over the next few days I'm going to share instructions for making the basket shown plus a lot more using my technique.  This is an article that I wrote last year and sent off to several magazines.   Since I had no interest from the major publishers, I decided to publish it myself in my blog.


Depending on your point of view, baskets were the first craft.  Potters claim ceramics came first, but that makes no sense to me.  Obviously our hunter/gatherer forefathers and foremothers needed something immediately to carry home the nuts and berries.  They didn’t have time to wait for the clay to dry and then throw the pots in a fire, so they picked up a couple of big leaves, twisted them together, and viola! A basket.

Baskets became important parts of all traditions throughout history.  They were used as trade objects, gifts, ceremonial items, and for just plain practical storage vessels.

When the first book on fabric bowls came out, I sold the book in my quilt shop, and made many samples.  Then a few years later another book, this one on coiled fabric and clothesline baskets was published. Again, I stocked it in the store, sold many copies and made several samples.  I was hooked for a while on churning out these coiled, fabric covered clothesline baskets.  In both of these techniques, something was missing for me.  The coiled baskets eventually bored me and the fabric bowls didn’t have enough “body” or weight to make them feel right.

I stumbled upon the technique shown in this article while I was making a few baskets to hopefully sell at some local craft shows along with my quilts.  I rejected a number of the baskets that I made because they were too complex, too time consuming, or I just didn’t enjoy making them. 

Please use this article as a starting point for your own ideas and explorations.  If you make enough, you’ll find your own voice through colors, designs, and images.  I believe that the satisfaction that we get from making a basket is part of our DNA.  It takes us back to a time when we made things out of necessity, but also allows us to express ourselves in our own art form.

Materials   All of the materials discussed in the section are readily available in craft, fabric and/ or discount stores.

Clothesline

There are several types of clothesline available, but the one I use the most is cotton reinforced with polypropylene that is sold in 100 foot hanks.  It is 3/16 inch or No. 6.  Due to the popularity of fabric coiled baskets, this is often available at fabric stores or quilt shops.   There are also some brands on the market that have a synthetic core with a cotton cover.  This is generally not suitable for making baskets.  The synthetic core leaves a residue on the sewing machine needle.   3/16 inch cotton cord that is sold by the yard in stores that sell upholstery supplies can also be used,  but this may cost a bit more.  I’ve tried using larger cord, but it is more difficult.  No. 6 is the ideal size.

Many stores also sell nylon cord for clotheslines and this works well in some projects, such as table runners or placemats.  It doesn’t have as much body as the cotton cord, but it washes well and dries more quickly.  More yardage of this cord is required because it compresses as it is sewn. 

The price range is usually between $4.00 and $6.00 and you can make one large or two small baskets from one hank.


Fabric
Most of the fabrics I use are 100% cotton.  Many are batiks, which I prefer, because of the high thread count and the reversibility.  The thread count keeps the fabric from raveling too much and the dying technique used in batiks makes them look the same on both sides, so there is no worry about twisting a fabric to the wrong side.  Fabrics should be pre-washed, especially for table runners or bread baskets that may need to be washed after they are used for awhile.
The baskets and table runners can be washed if necessary.  I actually ran a basket through the gentle cycle on my washing machine and allowed it to air dry.  It survived just fine, although I don’t recommend this method.  If you do need to wash any of these projects, soak them briefly in a sink with lukewarm water, rinse, and roll in a towel to remove excess moisture.  Let it dry in an area with some air movement (like a porch) until dry.  This takes about 24 hours.

Organizing Fabric

There are several ways to sort fabric.  Sorting by color is probably the best way to organize for these projects.  I keep small plastic containers, like small clothesbaskets, in my studio to hold my smaller pieces of fabric.  At a glance, I can see what I have in each color range.   Most of my larger pieces of fabric (1+ yards) I keep in larger, covered plastic containers, also arranged by color. 

Unless I can’t live without it, I don’t buy fat quarters.  I would rather have a quarter yard of fabric so that I can cut long strips of fabric.  Generally I buy at least a yard of fabric at a time to be sure of having enough fabric when I need it.

I keep any scrap of fabric that is larger than 2” by 2” or any long strip, no matter what the width.  They go into one of the smaller baskets.  A couple of times a year I go through all of my containers.  This allows me to remember what I have and often it will be inspiration for a new project.

Thread

Any medium weight cotton or cotton/poly blend thread will do.  Since the thread doesn’t show once the base is covered with patchwork, this presents an opportunity to get rid of some to the odd spools that end up in our sewing rooms and empty some of those half-filled bobbins. 

Variegated threads look very good for top stitching.

Sewing machines and needles

Just about any sewing machine that can do a zigzag stitch works.  It may seem that it would be difficult to sew through the clothesline, but its not.  The needle size should be at least a 90, nothing smaller, and the ideal needle is a size 100 universal. Change the needle often, they tend to dull easily.
                                                                                                           
Be sure to clean your machine regularly while making baskets.  There does seem to be a lot of lint generated.  Also, I oil my machine after each basket, but check with the owner’s manual for guidelines.

I use a good, basic machine that I reserve just for basket making.  I would avoid making many of these on a computerized machine that also has an embroidery function.

Notions

Clothespins are very helpful for holding things in place while working, so get a package of the spring-type when buying clothesline.  The other necessities are an iron, cutting board and rotary cutter, 2 pairs of scissors (one for fabric and one for clothesline), a tape measure, and other general sewing notions.  I keep an inexpensive pair of scissors just for cutting clothesline.

A couple of the appliqués use a paper backed bonding agent like Wonder Under®.

I’ve also used fabric inks and markers in some of the baskets.  Any brand will do as long as they are permanent. 


Check back tomorrow and I'll begin the instructions for making the basket shown above.

2 comments:

  1. this is so NEAT, I've made baskets before but never with applique, hmmmm
    there's a new magazine- quilt it today- try them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to this Kitty. Should be fun!

    ReplyDelete