Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Neat Trick for Half-square Triangles

I saw this on Pinterest a few weeks ago.  There was enough information in the picture to show me how its done.  But when I clicked on the link, it took me to an ad for diet pills!!!  I guess whoever was selling the pills knew that a lot of us quilters are a bit overweight.

Anyway, I decided maybe I was the only quilter in the world who didn't know this trick, so I took it to my next ASG meeting and guess what?  No one there had ever seen it before and also thought that it was a neat way to make half-squares.


First you sew 2 squares together (right sides together) using 1/4 inch seam.  Then you cut them apart on the diagonal as shown above.

When you fold them out, you have 4 half-square triangle blocks.

The block shown is 5 inches to start.  It makes four three inch blocks.  I also tried it with 4 inch squares and that makes 2 3/8th inch blocks.  I guess if you need a specific size, you could experiment to find the right starting size.  I haven't been able to come up with a formula for the math yet, but I haven't thought about it too hard.
Hope that you find this useful.



5 comments:

  1. Well, isn't that clever. You can always trim the squares to the size needed provided it's big enough to start with. I like this. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is clever but you need to be careful cause the outer edge you're now going sew on your half square triangles are on the bias so watch for stretching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm using this trick to teach my 6 year old daughter how to quilt. It makes for quick and easy block creation with very little fuss. Her quilt in progress even looks like something and we've only done three big blocks which have made 12 half-square triangles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great little trick. My mind is thinking of lots of possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this technique, especially good for when you need a scrappy look for many HSTs. Will just have to work out the math (ugh!). Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete