Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Needle Case Tutorial

I have made about a dozen of these little needle cases to give as gifts, so this one and the one I use are the only ones I have on hand right now.  The size is 3 1/2 inches by about 2 3/4 inches.  The rose makes a great small pincushion.

To make one you will need small pieces of felt and embroidery floss.
Cut one piece of felt 3 1/2 inches by 6 1/2 inches for the cover and two pieces 3 inches by 6 inches for the inside pages.  Place the small pieces on the larger piece and stitch down the middle as shown below.


You can now sew the edges of the cover using a blanket stitch and 3 strands of embroidery floss.  You can do this step before adding the inside pages if its easier for you.

Now make a stem and leaves to decorate the front.  Cut two leaf shapes out of felt and stitch with a blanket stitch.  I used a chain stitch for the stem.

To make the flower, you need a 4 inch diameter circle of felt. 
A circle this size will make a rose this size.
Cut the circle into a spiral, as shown below.
Beginning in the center, pleat the felt and begin to stitch.  Shape and stitch as you go around, picking up more of the spiral.  The bottom of the flower should be fairly flat.
I found a tutorial for making these flowers some time ago on another blog.  I thought I had bookmarked it, but today when I looked for it, I couldn't find it.  Sorry if I didn't give someone the credit they deserve.

Along with these little needle books, I like to give a little sewing kit, like this one.

Outside of sewing kit
 Inside of sewing kit.  Pocket for small scissors.

You can find a pattern for this little sewing kit here.  Its on the Connecting Threads website.

I hope you can use these ideas for some of your small gifts.

1 comment:

  1. I love the tutorial on the flower. Such a great needle case.

    ReplyDelete