Thursday, February 21, 2013

Thinking of Spring

I'm tired of the cold and wet winter.  Snow would have been nice, but all we got was a bit of slush.  So I started thinking about making something to wear when the weather finally warms up.  I'm also thinking about clothes to take on a cruise that I've booked for next year.  More on that later.



I've had this pattern for a couple of years but never got around to doing anything with it.  Last week I showed you some silk that I brought back from China.  This is another piece from that trip.


I thought it would look good with black slacks and a tank top to wear to dinner on a cruise, but I wasn't about to cut into it until I tested the pattern.  Besides I wasn't sure I had enough fabric.  I bought 2 meters, which is 2 yards 6 inches.  The pattern for the shorter version needs 2 1/2 yards.  Usually I can make it work, but since I hadn't tried the pattern I wanted to be sure.

I found a piece of light weight denim that someone must have given me. (I think when you sew, you attract fabric like a magnet.)  It was about 1 1/2 yards, not enough for a jacket, but enough for a vest to test the pattern.


This is the front.  It looks a little stiff because I still haven't hemmed it or tacked down the facings. I used bias to face the armholes.  The pattern went together beautifully and I plan on cutting out the silk tomorrow.  As you can see, I added a bit of embellishment to the vest, the denim was just to plain and boring by itself.


When I brought it back over to the house to do the hand sewing, I remembered this scarf that my friend Linda brought me from Italy last fall.  The colors are perfect and I really had not planned it.
Serendipity!



1 comment:

  1. Nice vest and yes the scarf certainy is perfect. I can't wait to see the jacket. I have had the 'little somethin' jacket pattern for quite a while too and haven't made it yet.

    ReplyDelete