Sunday, January 20, 2013

Catch Up Time

I'm going to do two posts today.  This one to catch everyone up on my life since mid-December, the one to follow which is a tutorial for a large make up bag.

As I was preparing for the holidays (making last minute gifts, cooking, anticipating grandchild visits), one of my aunts was sent to the hospital with sepsis.  This is very serious in the elderly, so I was very concerned.  To complicate matters, she lives in a nursing home in Virginia Beach, so it meant a trip across the bay almost daily.

She improved, grandchildren arrived, Christmas followed.


Diana, Talila, and Sasha "building" the gingerbread train.

The day after Christmas, my other aunt, who has Alzheimer's, stopped eating.  She has been going down-hill for some time, but this seemed more serious.  To make a long story short, my uncle and I put her on Hospice and she passed away peacefully on December 30th.  She was my mother's younger sister.  The Virginia Beach aunt, who is now doing well, is my father's younger sister.  These two aunts were roommates in college and remained friends all of their lives.  Neither of them had any children of their own, so to my brother and I they were almost like second Mothers.

Dan and I had planned on leaving Jan. 2nd to drive to Fort Lauderdale to visit my son and his family (three more grandchildren) and take a 7 day cruise.  We didn't leave until the 4th because of my aunt's funeral.  Believe me, I've never packed so fast in my life.


Half-Moon Cay, Bahamas

I'm not a gambler, but I do like to play the slot machines a little.  There was a slot tournament on this cruise and guess what, I won!!! $500.00!!!  The next day I decided to push my luck and play Bingo, and guess what, I won!!!   $61.16, because six of us went Bingo at the same time.

I've been back now for a few days.  The laundry is finally done, suitcases unpacked and waiting to be taken upstairs.  Yesterday I took down a box that contained a project that I promised my mother I would finish for her.  She did beautiful crewel work and started this at least six years ago.  Then she broke her right shoulder and could not work on it.  Often when I visited her, she'd ask me to get it off the closet shelf for her.  On the next visit she'd tell me to put it back.  When she was dying last spring, she made me promise to finish it.  So here it is, I'll work on it slowly and keep you posted.





2 comments:

  1. No wonder you Mom wanted this finished. It's gorgeous already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ladybug!! You deserve some good luck, congratulations! Thanks for posting a catching up piece. It's nice to share in what has been going on with you.
    I thought I would share a little something with you. I have collected so many unfinished pieces, quilts, embroidery. I love finishing other's work. I always feel that I have someone smiling down on me whenever I finish a piece. That piece of embroidery is going to bring special blessings while you work on it and once it is finished. You'll see :-)

    ReplyDelete