Monday, December 5, 2011

Heart Ornament

I've had fun today playing around with ideas for Christmas ornaments.  This is one that I made to sell and sold, so I made another this morning.  There will be a few more as the week progresses, hopefully one each day. 
To make the ornament above you need a square of yellow felt, small pieces of 2 shades of red felt, black seed beads, green embroidery floss and a small amount of fiber-fill for stuffing.
Make a pattern for a heart.  Mine is about 5 inches across.  Cut out 2, one for the front and one for the back.
Cut out the red felt in various sizes in a free-hand manner.  You don't need a pattern, just think flower petals.
Arrange the flowers on the heart front in any way you want.  Use a small flower part on top of a larger piece to give the flower some depth.  Sew on by sewing a bead or two in the middle (depends on how large your beads are.  Mine are quite large, so I only used one).
Now embroider your stems using 3 strands of embroidery floss.  I used a chain stitch, but you could use a stem stitch.  You could also do this on your machine with a small zig-zag if you wish.
The next step is to sew the back to the front.  I used a blanket stitch, but again, you could do this by machine.  Leave a small opening on one side to insert the stuffing.  Its easier to close if you leave the opening on a straight side, not a curve or point.
 Sew up your closing and sew a loop of ribbon to the top of the center back for hanging.
Hope you enjoy the pattern.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your pattern. I am always on the look out for something different for my Christmas felt ornaments. I make them for friends, and to sell.
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete