Sunday, April 15, 2012

Easy Ornament Tutorial

I know that its over 8 months until Christmas.  Maybe I'm early, but I decided to make these little ornaments to give as gifts to people who visit during the Artisans Guild Thanksgiving Weekend Tour.  So I made 245, to date.  And that's probably all I'm going to make, because I narrowed my Christmas fabric down from 2 boxes to 1 box.  Also I ran out of snowflake sequins.  If I run out, too bad.  You should come on Friday or Saturday if you want one.

 To make these you need a total of 4 circles of fabric (2 for the front and 2 for the back).  2 are cut  4 inch diameter and 2 are cut 3 inch diameter.  You will also need needle and thread, a piece of ribbon about 4 to 5 inches long, 2 snowflake sequins and 2 seed beads.
I'm using this piece of origami paper to illustrate this because it has a definite right and wrong side.  It is metallic, so there is some reflection, but its the only piece I could lay my hands on today.
Fold the circle in half and then half again to find the center.  You can either place a pin to mark it or just crease it, as long as you can tell where the center is.
Open the circle and fold one side up to the center.
Now, working clockwise, fold the corner to the center.
Fold the next corner to the center.
And the next corner.
And the next....
Now all raw edges are inside except for the tiny point.  This will be covered by either the smaller one of these or by the sequin.  Here is the order for making the ornament.  Have your needle threaded and knotted before you begin.
  • Fold one of the 4 inch circles as above.
  • Put the needle into the back, bring to front (in center) and make one stitch.  Thread and needle are now on back.
  • Make a loop of the ribbon and stitch this onto the back.
  • Make another 4 inch and sew this so that the two circles are back to back.
  • Make a 3 inch and place on top of one 4 inch, stitch through all layers to other side and add another 3 inch.
  • Now sew on a sequin using a seed bead to secure it.  
  • Go through to the other side and do the same
  • Bring needle to center (between the two 4 inch circles) and secure with a few stitches.
Done!!

It takes me 7 minutes to make one, not counting the time to cut the circles.  I've got it down to a science.  I just got out my calculator and figured out I spent 28 1/2 hours making these.  That's really kind of sick.
Here's a picture of my pile.

1 comment:

  1. Kitty, you have enough to fill your next Christmas Tree. LOL. They are very pretty. Jhs

    ReplyDelete